Telephone: 020 8539 2466
We believe that science allows children to experience and explore the world around them. It develops their understanding of scientific ideas and makes links between phenomena and experiences. It aims to stimulate a child’s curiosity in finding out why things happen in the way they do. The teachers help the children to develop methods of enquiry and investigation to stimulate creative thought. Children learn to ask scientific questions and begin to appreciate the way science will affect their future on a personal, national, and global level.
The aims of science are to enable children to:
• ask and answer scientific questions;
• plan and carry out scientific investigations using equipment, including ICT, correctly;
• know and understand the life processes of living things;
• know and understand the physical processes of materials, electricity, light, sound and natural forces;
• know about the nature of the solar system, including the earth;
• evaluate evidence and present their conclusions clearly and accurately.
We encourage children to think about science as much as possible throughout their school day. Each class has a ‘science in action’ area where the children can observe and interact in a range of hands on scientific activities. For example, some classes are looking at how mold develops on a range of different cheeses and the implications for a healthy diet based on this. Another class is exploring how and why crystals grow and develop.
Davies Lane Primary School,
020 8539 2466
020 8523 3230
Chief Executive - Maureen Okoye
Executive Principal – Jason Cook
Head of School – Bronwen Chalmers
8.00am - 4.30pm